With a new album imminent (and their first in 10 years!), the timing seemed right to challenge accomplished Italian power/thrashers Ancestral with Worship Metal’s 10 Questions of Biblical Proportions.
Here’s how bassist Domiziano Mendolia got on….
1. So….what are Ancestral up to then?
“Ancestral is not a simple ‘Italian’ power metal band….our purpose has always been to merge the metallic heaviness of U.S. thrash metal with the melodic catchiness of Teutonic power metal. Our music is full of sweat, anger, tears and passion. We’ve had many demos and concerts, a debut album published ten years ago and almost 20 years of experience as musicians. Now we are ready to come back with a new line up (Jo Lombardo Voice and Carmelo Scozzari Guitars). We want to play as soon as possible and we are not afraid to deliver a real killer live gig!!”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realize you ‘worshipped’ metal?
“Well, I’m proud to say that the Monster of Rock Festival in Italy in 1992, with Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Testament, Pantera….that represents my “worshipped” metal.”
3. Name the one album that epitomizes heavy metal/hard rock over all others.
“Hmm… only one?? It’s not so easy but I can try….Megadeth, Rust in Peace.”
4. Which 5 power metal/speed metal albums have had the biggest influence on your sound?
“Well, I have to say that there’s not only power/speed metal in our sound but also thrash metal! The most important influences for us are Iced Earth, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Helstar & Testament.”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which song from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“In my opinion “Wind of Egadi” would be suitable to introduce Ancestral to the whole world because its sound is able to sum up all the contents of our 2nd disc Master of Fate. There are many thrash riffs, very fast and catchy chorus’ and great solos!! Also the lyrics are very important in this song because we talk about the first Punic war fought in the sea of the Egadi island, in Sicily, our amazing homeland.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour. Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Hmm….I need only 2 items to survive. My credit card….clean slip!! Nothing else man.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Simply to have the pleasure and the luck to meet many different people and share with them the passion for heavy metal. Would be great to stay in touch with everyone!”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece rock and metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“Ronnie James Dio Vocals – Dimbeg Darrel Guitars – Cliff Burton bass – Nick Menza Drums. Maybe they are already playing in heaven? R.I.P.”
9. Hard rock and heavy metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“I don’t want to sound corny, but without a doubt I’d answer that the second greatest inventions in my opinion are: CD’s and LP Vinyl!! Thanks to them, we have the chance to support our great invention in the best way! Guys….music is not only an mp3 file….my house and my car are full of CDs!!”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“September 27, 1986, Metallica live in Stockholm….you know why.”
Master of Fate is due for release on January 20th, 2017. Expect a masterclass in power/thrash/speed metal!