Heavyweight US metallers Incite are gearing up for the release of their 4th album Oppression – we’ve heard it, it kicks ass, review to follow – so we figured we’d grill frontman Richie Cavalera on the greatest metal album ever, his guilty pleasure listening habits and much more.
That’s right…..it’s 10 Questions of Biblical Proportions time!
1. So….what are Incite up to then?
Richie Cavalera: “We’ve got a lot going on! We just finished a 10 week tour in Europe, first with Cancer Bats, then with Soulfly and our new album, Oppression, comes out this Friday (22nd April). We’re just getting ready for our US tour with DevilDriver which starts next week. It’s a super crazy time in the Incite camp.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘worshipped’ heavy metal?
“Metallica in 1989. I saw them live during the …And Justice for All record. I believe it was with Bon Jovi. I was very lucky and got to meet Metallica after the show. It blows my mind, still to this day.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises metal over all others to you and why.
“I’d say Slayer’s Reign In Blood. There is nothing more metal than that. If you were riding an elevator to hell, that album would be playing! I love to turn it up when I’m driving long trips between shows, to keep me awake.”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now!
“Journey’s Greatest Hits. I absolutely love me some Journey! Either when driving or just hanging out at home. I went and saw them last year and they were bad ass, so it made my love for them grow even more!
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which song/album do you blast them away with?
“I would say “The Slaughter”. It has a great vocal hook and it’s brutal from beginning to end. We will always play that song live and it definitely explains this band in one song. Pure metal and shredding to your ears, non stop.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour. Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“1.My cell phone ’cause the wife will need to get hold of me constantly.
2. My long johns. They keep me so warm and they’re comfy and keep the stink hidden!
3. My iPod for music. I can’t live without it, especially when you need to get away.
4. My pillow. I can’t sleep on anything else. I have a designated pillow to stay cozy in the crammed up can.
5. My earplugs. My bass player talks in his sleep and my drummer snores, so those are a must!”
7. What’s been your most memorable stage/tour experience to date?
“I’d say Russia with Incite this past Winter. It was our first time there and the shows were insane. The fans were nuts and the weed was good, so it was a lot cooler than I expected! I can’t wait to go back.”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
9. Hard Rock & Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented, but what’s the second greatest invention of all time and why?
“I’d say marijuana. It’s crucial. It turns all your bad problems into good problems, it’s non habit forming and it’s tasty. I’ve always been a big fan and user. I wouldn’t like life without it, that’s for sure. Shit would suck.”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any rock/metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Queen would be a must! To see Freddy singing live would be life changing and to sing along with them for all those classic songs would be crazy. My voice would be gone after that night.”
Oppression is available from Friday 22nd April! \m/