Knell, purveyors of extreme Blackened Death Metal and authors of one of last years finest albums – Zero Hour – are working on new material. So, what better time to throw 10 Questions Of Biblical Proportions frontman Luis Zapata’s way…..
1. So….what are you up to then?
“Working on the lyrics for the new songs we have.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“It’s between Metallica and this local Death Metal band called Inanna which blew my mind back in the day. In case you want to check them out here’s something:”
3. Name the one album that epitomises Heavy Metal over all others.
“Death’s Symbolic. Perfect production, strong songwriting and really, really metal! haha”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now.
“Not as guilty as you may think. Hip Hop. I have been listening to Lowkey’s Soundtrack To The Struggle lately.”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which album from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Crimson Sky” from Zero Hour. That album means the world to me and I actually listen to it quite often. A good song to show is “Crimson Sky” which has a bit of everything you’ll find in the album. Here’s the track.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non stop, around the world tour, what 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Five items, shit. Tough one. I think this is not considering rig or otherwise I have no idea. Well, to survive I think clothing. Vitals are pants, t-shirts and a jacket. Underwear & socks you can buy on the road but it’s better to go with as much of them as possible. Somewhere Devin Townsend said that you have to have at least one outfit to play, different from the one you use the rest of the day to avoid smelling like shit all day, so I’ll take that into consideration hahaha.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Snoop Dogg saved our life many times on the road. We were blasting the album Ego Trippin’ while we were on the road to keep the driver awake. That ‘bassy’ sound did the trick and we are fans of the dude now hahahah. Every now and then I listen back to the guy and remember being on the road.”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece Rock and Metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“Devin Townsend on vocals & guitar, Jason Becker on lead guitar, Gene Hoglan on drums, Steve Digiorgio on bass.”
9. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Metallica – Seattle 89. I wish I could have seen those guys in their prime.”