I is a collection of all Pelugion‘s recordings to date. Some of the tracks have been released previously in digital format only, other recordings haven’t been heard before, but none of these tracks have ever made it to CD…..until now!
Those waiting with impatient fervour are now rewarded with a body of work which may be pulled from the last 3 years but perfectly showcases the capabilities of this outstanding power trio. Hailing from Coventry, Pelugion’s rise has been steady and has led to appearances at festivals around the UK, including Scotland’s Wildfire, Uprising, HRH Metal and 2018’s Bloodstock.
This rise in exposure is for one bloody good reason…..Pelugion are fucking brilliant!
“Monster” ably lives up to its name, as this rumbling stoner rock/metal colossus channels Sabbath and QOTSA to deliver a riffed up fever dream. Andy Sweeney’s vocals shine but it’s the sheer quality of the track which impresses the most. Monster indeed!
“Bide My Time” then continues the Sabbath theme before crushing all in its path with the kind of closing staccato salvo Crowbar would kill for! It’s then straight back to the soulful grooves of Kyuss as “Desire” alternates between its doomy chorus and the stoner bounce thrust of its verses.
“Bane Of Humanity” is Pelugion’s thrash moment, an Among The Living-esque exercise in melodic thrash which proves that the band can ditch the slow Sabbathian tempos when required and thrash-the-fuck-out with ease. Alongside “Monster”, it’s clearly the best thing Pelugion have composed to date and could indicate a future direction…..who knows, eh?!
By this point you’ll notice that the quality simply doesn’t wane with a strong sense of cohesion and identity prevailing throughout; no mean feat for a release which was recorded over a 3 year period!
“Remedy” may follow the template laid out by “Desire” and “Monster” a little too slavishly, but when the songs are this good there’s no need to admonish such behaviour. The remaining 3 tracks on offer prove that Pelugion’s upward trajectory will no doubt continue. While they may lack the urgency of Pelugion’s more recent material, the likes of “Serpent Mistress” serve as ideal indicators that this band had talent to burn from the very start.
As introductions go, Pelugion’s I is a resounding success. Just don’t make us wait another 3 years for Part II. 8/10
Pelugion’s I is available now!
- Monster: Recorded in 2016 Produced, mixed and mastered by Mike Exeter and Barry Bayliss at Gospel Oak Studios
- Bide My Time: Recorded in 2015 Produced, mixed and mastered by Mike Exeter, Stuart Jones and Clint Murphy at Woodworm Studios
- Desire: Recorded in 2017 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studios
- Bane Of Humanity: Recorded in 2018 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studios
- Remedy: Recorded in 2017 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studios
- Bury Me: Recorded in 2015 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studio
- Serpent’s Mistress: Recorded in 2015 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studios
- Believe: Recorded in 2015 Produced, mixed and mastered by Dan Willett at Univibe Studios