With Starbynary’s latest power metal/prog metal opus, Divinia Commedia: Inferno, arriving on Feb 3rd 2017, the timing seemed perfect to sling our 10 questions of biblical proportions their way!
Here’s how Keyboardist Luigi Accardo got on….
1. So….what are you up to then?
“First of all, hi! I’m Luigi, keyboard player from Starbynary. We are working on live performance of our project. It’s a very important side of this kind of world. I remember Mike Portnoy said that a band is not a real band if it doesn’t play live and I totally agree. We are working also on the next album, the second part of the trilogy.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“At the beginning of my ‘metal way’, I listened to a lot of Iron Maiden.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises heavy metal/hard rock over all others.
In my opinion there are a lot of albums that we can call a masterpiece and that inspired all the different trends in metal. If I have to choose only one, I say Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden.
4. Which 5 metal albums have had the biggest influence on your sound?
“Everyone in the band comes from different musical experiences, so it’s difficult to answer! As a band, for sure Symphony X (you can hear it on our first album, with Mike Lepond on bass). I can answer about 5 of my favourite albums, although they are so different:
Scenes From A Memory (Dream Theater)
V: The New Mythology Suite (Symphony X)
Fear Of A Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree)
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which song from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Probably I choose “Seventh Circle” – from Divina Commedia: Inferno, because it’s a peculiar song built on guitar and keyboard counterpoint, with heavy moments and melodic designs alternating.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour. Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Ahahahahaah! When I’ll have a tour like that, I’ll tell you!”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“My best moment was in classical music contests. I play harpsichord in various baroque ensembles but I hope to live the same sensations in the metal world too!”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece rock and metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“Mmm, I really don’t know. If I have to choose 5 people, I can say: Gavin Harrison on drums, Tony Levin on bass, Keith Emerson on keyboard, John Petrucci on guitar & Ronnie James Dio on vocal!
9. Hard rock and heavy metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“The second greatest invention is Football! Hahahahah! I love it!”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any rock/metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon tour!!!!”