Flotsam and Jetsam are busy! Back with a new, self-titled, album – one that will remind the world just how important to the thrash scene they still are – and ready to embark on a U.S & European tour throughout 2016. With that in mind, the timing seemed right to collar powerhouse drummer Jason Bittner (ex-Shadows Fall, ex-Anthrax) and throw our 10 Questions Of Biblical Proportions his way….
1. So….what are Flotsam and Jetsam up to then?
Jason Bittner: “Getting ready to release our self-titled new album Flotsam and Jetsam on May 20th, followed by a U.S. tour, then off to Europe this coming Summer and Fall”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘worshipped’ heavy metal?
“Iron Maiden, period….and then Slayer solidified that a few years later.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises metal over all others.
“Slayer – Reign in Blood”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now!
“Adam And The Ants, Kings Of The Wild Frontier or anything by Split Endz….I’m of a child of the 80’s – New Wave AND Metal!!”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which song/album do you blast them away with?
“Flotsam and Jetsam, our latest record!! Or possibly just the song “Doomsday For The Deceiver”” (an all time thrash classic! – Ed)
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour. Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
- Baby Wipes
- Extra underwear/socks
- Noise isolation headphones
- Laptop/cell phone/Wi-fi hotspot”
7. What’s been your most memorable stage/tour experience to date?
“Way too many to list but for ME my favourite tour was when I was still in Shadows Fall and we did the entire summer of 2005 on Ozzfest with Black Sabbath (the REAL line up) and Iron Maiden (again, the REAL lineup), I don’t think it gets anymore metal than that. A second to that would be when I was playing drums in Anthrax in 2012 and we did the entire Mayhem tour with Slayer, Motorhead and Slipknot, that was an amazing day-to-day experience too!”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece thrash metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“First off it’s too hard to pick a 4 piece band ’cause you need a singer/guitarist soon…
- James Hetfield – Vox/Rythm Guitar or Robb Flynn
- Dimebag Darrell – Lead Guitar (and yes, we played together before he passed)
- Tom Araya – Bass
- Drums – well, me obviously
Now, if we picked a 5-piece traditional band it would be:
- Bruce Dickinson – Vox
- Steve Harris/Geddy Lee – Bass
- Dimebag Darell – Guitar 1
- Zakk Wylde – Guitar 2
- Me – Drums”
9. Hard Rock & Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“The process of water purification….without it, we would all die”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any rock/metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Hendrix at Monterey Pop, The Band’s final performance, The Last Waltz in San Francisco in 1977 or Led Zep at MSG in their prime.”