Finnish black metallers Hukutus appear to have taken part in interviews for every webzine going lately and we were feeling left out (sob). So, we sent our 10 Questions of Biblical Proportions their way!
1. So….what are you up to then?
“Some petty soul-forgery, stroking our shivalingas and, occasionally, practising cult-activity that is also known as being in a band.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“Being exposed to Mercyful Fate or W.A.S.P. as a kid. It was obvious these guys were worshipping the Devil, so by listening to them, so was I.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises heavy metal/hard rock over all others.
“Mercyful Fate: Don’t Break the Oath.”
4. Which 5 metal albums have had the biggest influence on your sound?
“Probably none in particular, it’s not something we have discussed. I’ll give you two: Dödheimsgard: Satanic Art and Meshuggah: obZen.”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which song from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Nadiirit” or “Metsä ja yö”.
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour. Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Sleeping pills, razors, noose, gun (if I can get one), map of high cliffs.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“I/we haven’t exactly been on the road that much, so let’s say they are ahead of us.”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece rock and metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“John Bonham, Varg Vikernes, Peter Steele, Justin Broadrick. They’d probably never make it through one rehearsal, but one can dream.”
9. Hard rock and heavy metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“Listening to metal at a cabin in the woods, drinking beer and going to sauna.”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any rock/metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Some early Misfits-gig, Nine Inch Nails’ ’94 Woodstock-gig or Ministry’s 1990 Merrillville-gig.”