Thrash and Grindcore hero Dan Lilker (Nuclear Assault, S.O.D, Brutal Truth, Venomous Concept) is hard at work touring and promoting Nuclear Assault’s long-awaited return with the mighty-fine Pounder EP.
So, what better time to throw some Questions of Biblical Proportions his way….
1. So….what are Nuclear Assault up to then?
“We’re leaving next week for a month-long European tour that ends with Bloodstock, then we go dircetly to Montreal for a fest there. 3 days later we’re off to South America for some shows with Exciter. And we just got back from our “Copenhellfest” weekend.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“Black Sabbath’s Greatest Hits, which I bought for myself as a junior high school graduation present in 1979.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises Heavy Metal over all others.
“So hard to answer… I guess Hell Bent For Leather by Priest, which was called Killing Machine in the UK.”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now.
“I don’t listen to albums much anymore, but when we are partying with Spotify and the travel speakers, I’ve been known to enjoy Steely Dan, which is probably unexpected.”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which album from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Since this is Nuclear-related, I’ll go with Handle With Care.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non stop, around the world tour, what 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Well since this is an unrealistic scenario anyway, I’ll go with some unrealistic items….my other half, 3 pounds of white widow (top notch weed), a skid of Nuclear Hop Assault imperial IPAs, a washer/dryer and a chef who can recreate all my favorite meals.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Probably playing Japan for the first time in 1990. The combination of a completely different culture with the intense enthusiasm of the crowd was unforgettable.”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece Rock and Metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“King Diamond fronting Rush.”
9. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Hendrix – Are You Experienced era”