Acid Reign Frontman Howard “H” Smith Takes On Our 10 Questions Of Biblical Proportions
UK Thrash icons Acid Reign are back, the self-proclaimed purveyors of Apple Core have finally re-booted (not reformed, frontman H’s words not ours) and UK Thrash has one of it’s greatest bands back in action! So, what better time to throw some questions of biblical proportions frontman H’s way!!
1. So….what are Acid Reign up to then?
“Released our first song in 25 years “Plan Of The Damned”, touring UK & Ireland in October, Hammerfest in March. Other than that just fuckin’ about.”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“Metallica, Puppets tour. Anthrax supported, I caught a Charlie Benante drum stick and Scott Ian dedicated a song to me as I’d “done more diving than anyone else”. I also got to meet both bands and hand Cliff Burton the first Acid Reign demo (prior to Moshkinstein). That was a special experience and all added up to make quite an impression on a little 17 year old would-be thrash vocalist.”
3. Name the one album that epitomises Heavy Metal over all others.
“I really don’t think there is one. I mean if we’re going to start down the “most metal” route you could say anything by Manowar but I’d rather not cos they’re shit. That’s me getting challenged to a dual by one of those loin cloth wearing chuckleheads now!”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now.
“None, my music taste is cool as fuck.”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which album from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Easy, Obnoxious, with extra track “Plan Of The Damned”. They’d have to download it or get a CD/Vinyl copy. Streaming is for people who don’t like music. Shitest. Quality. Ever.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non-stop, around the world tour, what 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Our support bands Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Rush and Original Dead Kennedys. No Megadeth cos Dave can’t sing live anymore, he sounds like he’s having a stroke.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Being knocked down by a car when I was 14.”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece Rock and Metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart and me on vocals. That’s Rush fans challenging me to a dual as well now, get in line!”
9. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“WD40. True fact.”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Metallica with Dave Mustaine or Voivod/Faith No More/Soundgarden tour or Descendents Milo Goes To College Tour.”
Great to see Acid Reign are back. Still have my Moshkinstein vinyl (somewhere) and many happy memories of covering Motherly Love with my first band in high school! Hope to catch youse live at some point.
The UK Thrash renaissance truly moved up a gear with Acid Reign finally back in action!
I agree, from personal experience, that your music taste is cool. However I do remember an evening in a flat in Sandyford, in your company, listening to Yoko Ono. Not sure it was a pleasure, but I did feel guilty. Always a pleasure…
Yoko fuckin’ Ono! That’s it, “H”‘s rep ruined forever 😉 \m/
+1 for WD40!
That’s a lot of love for the old WD40 right there! 😉
Ha ha Yoko Ono that’s a laugh. I am not a Beatles fan and certainly have never been a Yoko fan, don’t think I’ve even ever heard any. One thing I have learned over the years is that peoples memories (including mine) aren’t what they used to be. I’ve been credited with helping people in the pit of gigs I never went to, playing towns/cities that we never played, impregnating women I’ve never met. The worst by far however is being accused of liking Yoko ono, I’ve got a thick skin but you can FUCK OFF with that!
Liking Yoko Ono is off-the-scale slander, your rebuttal is honourable ‘H’….we never doubted you for a second!