Those who know their thrash will recognise Joe Cangelosi as the skin basher behind Kreator’s Cause For Conflict and Whiplash’s Insult To Injury, Unborn Again and the seminal Ticket To Mayhem.
Certainly no stranger to the Thrash world, this East Coast veteran has also served time with pioneering Death metallers Massacre, aggressive crossover brutes Brooklyn Militia and his latest assignment sees him teaming up with genre great’s in the thrash supergroup Eliminate!
So, what better time to throw our 10 questions of biblical proportions his way….
1. So….what are you up to then?
“Brooklyn Militia is on hiatis. Eliminate plans on recording and doing some festivals next year….we have a veteran manager Marco Barbieri who everyone knows from Metal Blade and Century Media”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you ‘Worshipped’ Metal?
“Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Zeppelin, Deep Purple….all the heavy classic rock stuff. Then bands in my genre like Metallica, Exodus, Slayer….Whiplash”
3. Name the one album that epitomises Heavy Metal over all others.
“Number Of The Beast”
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now.
“I have thousands of CD’s and I am an avid collector of all kinds of music. I play jazz and other styles and don’t feel guilty. I have had a jazz record out since 2003, the band is called Sons Brothers and Wrestlers….check it out!” (we did, it’s called Former Miss Sunshine and it’s pretty damn good! – Ed)
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which album from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“It doesn’t matter what I play them, I am proud of my work and stand behind all of it. People especially like my work on Kreator’s Cause For Conflict, the bastard child of Kreator’s CD’s….hahaha”
6. You find yourself booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non stop, around the world tour! Which 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“Music, phone, computer, sticks, pedals”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Playing the day the wall came down in Germany and hacking pieces of wall off and pissing on it, then playing for an absolutely packed house of Eastern Germans that night….unforgettable”
* “OR….opening for Iron Maiden in ’95 and meeting them in Romania”
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece Rock and Metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
“Don’t really know but Cliff (Burton) has to be in it!”
9. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“You got that wrong, it’s drums!” 🙂
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“It would have to be Led Zeppelin in their heyday….with me sitting behind Bonham”
Eliminate, featuring Don Doty (Dark Angel) on vocals, Scott Owen (Hirax) on guitar, Henry Elizondo (Devastation) on guitar, John Signorelli (Subversion) on bass and Joe on drums are a thrash supergroup destined to annihilate all in their path….we’ll bring you more news on their forthcoming gigs and debut release as 2016 rolls on!