Worship Metal caught up with Atheist frontman and all-round Progressive Tech Death Metal legend Kelly Shaefer to discuss the future of Atheist, his greatest Metal album of all time and all manner of biblical questions…..
1. So….what are you up to then Sir? Any news from the Atheist camp?
“Oh yes lots of good things going on. We are currently working on what will prob be our last studio record, it’s gonna be a rager!”
2. Which album/artist/gig/experience made you first realise you
Black Sabbath was probably my first true introduction to Metal….and I think Maiden and Metallica, Priest etc were big boosts in how we all percieved Metal.
3. Name the one album that epitomises Heavy Metal over all others?
“Amusing considering how our conversation started ;-)….REIGN IN BLOOD!!!” (check out our controversial Reign In Blood feature which bought Worship Metal and Mr Shaefer together!)
4. Which guilty pleasure album do you listen to the most? Be honest now.
“I might bust out some Styx or Reo Speedwagon hahah”
5. You have one opportunity to introduce your band to the entire world, which album from your back catalogue do you blast them away with?
“Well these days I will def bust out Jupiter because of the sound quality difference….if it’s a true old school Metal head it would be Unquestionable Presence.”
6. You find yourselves booked on a mammoth, 12 month, non stop, around the world tour, what 5 essential items do you take with you in order to survive?
“12 months?? I would take my daughter, my fiancee, a ton of Mt Dew, weed and Black Sabbath’s Technical Ecstasy.”
7. What’s been your most memorable experience on the road?
“Definitely coming back after being away for 15 years and playing Wacken for 60,000 people was about as good as it gets! An old school bottle fight in Copenhagen with a very well know band. Just the travel experience has been amazing, we have seen the world and loved every moment….except the airports!! I fucking hate airports!
8. You’re given the chance to handpick the ultimate 4-piece Rock and Metal supergroup (living or deceased). Who’s in the line-up?
Roger Patterson, Steve Flynn, Rand Burkey and myself (the ultimate Atheist line-up! – Ed)
9. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is blatantly the greatest thing ever invented but what’s the second greatest invention of all time?
“A killer stereo to crank it on!!!”
10. It turns out Ozzy’s luscious long hair is imbued with time-travelling qualities and just one stroke of his lion’s mane can transport you back to any Rock/Metal gig of your choice. Who do you go and see?
“Feb 6th 1991, Waters club in Riverside, Cali to watch Roger Pattersons final gig with us. I miss that fucker terribly.
Worship Metal will be waiting with bated breath for the new Atheist album – it’s bound to re-write the rule book once again – but in the meantime, check out the new CD & DVD Digipack re-issues of Elements and Unquestionable Presence out now on Season of Mist. They each include amazing liner notes as well as 80mins of never before seen footage from each of the eras of Atheist. A great package!